Thursday, April 21, 2016

Earth Day 2016

Earth Day is on the 22nd of April this year and I don't really care. I know that sounds crazy but instead of talking about Earth Day and the earth itself, I decided that actions would be louder than words, so I did something, that I felt would really help.

I gave up cars.

Yes, when my wife died in 2013 we had two cars. My wife's car, which she drove 12 miles to work every day, and back home those same 12 miles. She kept it clean and hated the times when I had to drive her car because we were going somewhere together and she just did not want to put up with the hassle of me being the passenger not the driver. 

My car, on the other hand, was like the "Wreck of the Hesperus." You could have done surgery in the back seat and no one would notice. My car was the do everything car of the two cars, and life was grand. Until she died and I started pondering life.

I have to say that up until my wife died I had not really considered my position in the world. When I was young I really didn't care about the resources I was using or how they were used. If someone would have told me that they would have to use a condor to beat a bald eagle to death to get what I wanted I would have only asked the question:

"How Much?"

Because really that's the only question these days isn't it? How much can I get for myself? Where is my piece of the pie? Why should I give two shits about others? Why? It seems dumb sometimes, doing something good, making a sacrifice.

So I sold one car to a neighbor, and shipped my wife's car to my son in Mississippi in September of 2014. So I was then, and still am, without a car. The bus stop is right outside my apartment on both sides of the street, so it's pretty easy. I work, ha-ha, for myself so there is not a time constraint, so it works.

But I am not doing it for me. I am doing it for my son, his kids, your kids, people I have not met, and all those ones that are going to come after me. How stupid am I to think you can change the world one bus ride at a time? I must be crazy. Then the first time I rode the bus, I found this note, on the seat next to where I sat down.


And I have not stopped riding since then, and am going to ride the bus today. For me, for you, for real change, and just because I can.